Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Flashing Lights...Mangled Metal-Broken Glass...Eerie Silence...Sudden Fear...Oh Dear God

I was on my daily route (heading south) to work this morning - fussing about the traffic, mind wondering-what will the day be like in the office, I hate my job...what's going on! Why is the traffic stopping now! Are those headlights or flashing lights - oh dear Lord...

As the traffic slowly approached what looked like the Northern Lights...the north bound 3 lane highway traffic had come to a halt and then I saw it - the car all twisted and mangled, windows smashed, lying in the middle of the road on its top unrecognizable.

The police, fire department, ambulance, TDOT were frantically working. Just then the traffic report blared out - there is a one-car accident on 27 North with one fatality. All exits are closed and traffic has been rerouted.

As I slowly passed by this devastating moment, even though the lights were flashing, crewmembers working in frenzy, everything seemed to be moving in slow motion with an eerie silence. The kind that makes you think oh dear God.....long pause.....

The traffic slowly starting picking up and NOW everyone has decided to follow the speed limit, using turn signals, etc. It occurred to me-that was a dark car, was it a 4-door and was it medium sized? Oh, GOD please, please don't let that be Heather! I can't call her (phone turned off) and she won't be at work for another hour. Oh GOD! Calm down Marti...breath....

I get to work and watch the clock-for what seemed like an eternity! 8:00 I'll call her. Good Morning, Sphere Co. Angie speaking. Is Heather there? I'm sorry she hasn't made in to work. There has been an accident and she may be caught in traffic. This is her mother, I know there has been a wreck and Heather takes that route and I was just calling to see if she was ok. Don't worry, I'm sure she's fine - just stuck in traffic. Now I'm thinking to myself-how the heck do you know this, Angie. Are you psychic? Please have her call me as soon as she gets in. I'm at work. I will just as soon as she gets here. Thank you.

8:15 no call
8:25 no call
8:30 no call
8:35 - ring-recognizing the number. Heather I was so worried about you. Mom, I'm ok. Well I know how you drive, it was dark, I couldn't recognize the car, and I couldn't call you. Mom, it's ok. The roads were closed and I had to take the long way around to work. Well I'm glad you're ok. I love you Heather. I love you Mom. I just worry about you. Mom, I'm ok really. I love you Heather, have a good day. I love you Mom, and you have a good day to. Bye.

I took a deep breath, exhaled, and thanked God it wasn't Heather. All of a sudden, I was deeply moved...someone is going to get a phone call today that will change his or her life forever.

Dear God, I ask that you give that someone the strength and comfort during this time of loss and tragedy.

Be sure to tell your kids, husband, wife or SO that you love them before leaving for the day and to always leave on a good note - we really don't know what could happen in the next minute.


One person is dead this morning, after a one-car crash. It happened on Highway 27 just before 7 o'clock this morning. We don't have many details but apparently the car was heading south, when it lost control and flipped into the north-bound lanes around the Morrison Springs exit ejecting the driver. That driver was pronounced dead at the scene. Both directions of Highway 27 were closed.




Image hosted by Photobucket.com

5 Comments:

Blogger Lu said...

wow...that is a lot to think about.... i am glad heather is ok too...and sad that someone else is not...

September 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you really got me to thinking.... and crying.... i am after all a big cry baby.... just ask lu.... glad you and yours were safe.... just praying for strength for the other family.... love your sparkles.... misty

September 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sad.

Check out my web site to learn how you can help hurricane victims.

Peace

September 21, 2005  
Blogger Marti's Shadow said...

I love you mommy! Don't worry God is taking care of me. Isn't it funny that we both thought of the same thing....the only bad thing is I only think of things like this, when something like this happens..understand? I should pray for the people everyday that get this kind of new. I LOVE YOU SOOOO MUCH!
Heather

September 21, 2005  
Blogger Robin said...

That's just about the scariest thing... and yes, my prayers go out to the family and friends of that person who was killed.

September 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home