Thursday, September 01, 2005

Where To Begin....

About 9 weeks ago, Elaine our Research Assistant, son Cory (25), had to go to the ER. The ER docs thought he had gallstones...while in the ER he threw a blood clot and almost died. The docs didn't know what was going on with him. After being admitted to the hospital, the docs discovered that Cory did not have gallstones - but blood clots instead. A huge blood clot was forming and the doctors were afraid that it would move - so they had to put in a Greenfield Filter - this filters the blood and prevents blood clots from traveling to the heart or lungs. After receiving treatment to dissolve the blood clots and put on a blood thinner, Cory was scheduled to have the filter removed this week. Tissue has grown to the filter and the risk is too great to remove it. Also, if the filter stays in there are risks of long term damage. For now, the docs have no choice but to leave the filter in. Currently Cory is being treated for Lupus Disease but the docs aren't sure if he really has Lupus. Elaine has been on an emotional roller coaster ride. Elaine...we love you and are praying for you...we will get through this one.

Wednesday night my boss called and told me that our receptionist's father passed away. Nine weeks ago he was diagnosed with colon cancer that had metastasized to the liver. He received one chemo treatment and responded very poorly. The next day the family was told to call in hospice. His death was so sudden and fast - it has affected us in such a way that we are at a loss for words. Renee you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Today after lunch Shanna our X-ray Tech, received a call. Her husband's grandfather just passed away. She was so sadden by his death. In a way, he was her grandfather to. Today is his 84th birthday. The comment was made, "he came in this world on Sept 1 and went out on Sept 1".

After Shanna told us that her husband's "Pop" died Deb my boss, said, "it comes in 3's...who's next?" She raised her hand. I immediately said no! Don't say that! My heart crumbled...

Deb has been diagnosed with a rare case of ovarian cancer and has been on chemotherapy for 2 1/2 years. The cancer has never gone into remission. The cancer was surgically removed but last week; she received horrible news...the cancer is back - new growth. Her OB doc told her that he was not going to change her treatment. He could do a biopsy but it will only tell them what they already know....she has a progressing disease - cancer.

Deb was scheduled for a MUGA scan Wednesday - this test tells if or how the heart has been affected by chemo - well we (Janet and I) read the report. We forgot what the numbers and percentages were that meant everything looked good or bad and according to the report - there was a significant change. Of course, the two of us thought the worse! I went to the bathroom and broke down. I cried for my dear friend. I cried for her fear of not knowing and what am I going to do. Thankfully, the report was good and we had completely missed the boat with the numbers...THANK YOU GOD!

Deb has swelling in her chest/breast area going on 3 weeks and had to go for an MRI this morning. Once again, we read the report - this time something is wrong. She had to call her OB doc as well as the Oncology (cancer) doc. She is waiting for them to return her call. In the meantime...here we sit in the office trying to guess what this or that could mean and will the docs do this or that. Both docs called back and she is scheduled for a biopsy Tuesday, Sept. 6. The oncology doc nurse told her that it "might not" be a tumor - tumors don't grow "that fast". The nurse said she felt sure that is wasn't inflammatory breast cancer (IBC). According to Deb and the internet, she has all the symptoms for IBC.

As we were walking out to our cars yesterday, Deb said what am I going to tell my kids...I said you're going have to tell them the truth-Girls I have a biopsy scheduled for Tuesday and it could be a tumor....there was a silent pause. We gave each other a hug, said, "I love you", and went our separate ways. I got in my car and started crying again. I called Lu and told her everything and that I'm not ready to see my friend in a casket. I cried the whole way home. Deb I can't live in this office without you.

We, I say "we" because all the girls here in the office have become so close....like sisters, are scared to death. Deb has been so strong and such an inspiration to so many people but now, we want to take care of her and be strong for her. Deb please let us do that you...My dearest friend.



Deb and her family

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

7 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

The dreaded 3s... at least there are no 4s in the equation.

Prayers issued up. Keep us posted.

September 01, 2005  
Blogger Carol said...

Life is so hard. I am glad that Deb has good friends.

If you need a lift, visit tomorrow for Friendly Fridays.

September 01, 2005  
Blogger Lu said...

we can question things...

but yet we never understand...

i feel sad..

September 01, 2005  
Blogger R.A. Slater said...

here from Michele's.

I haven't got an original thing to say...I'll pray.

September 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a sad post. Like Carol said earlier, it is good that Deb has good friends. Hang in there. Michele sent me.

September 02, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, Michele sent me.

I am so sorry to hear of all the problems your co-workers are suffering.

September 02, 2005  
Blogger jlybn123 said...

Sorry to hear about recent tragic events in your life...has to have your stress levels up there!

Will send a prayer your way, and theirs!

September 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home